Friday, December 4, 2009

Cherish the treasure

"I will love you forever. "She told me without battering an eyelid or feeling bashful at all when she was a young innocent primary one child.
She was cheeky and naughty and someone you would want to just 'strangle' to keep her still and silent for a moment at times. Yet, she was made my class monitress.
She was the tallest in class and with her blond hair, she was easily spotted no matter where she tries to hide.

One assembly, I was leading the school for some singing sessions.
And I decided to call upon a brave soul to perform a simple song and and dance for the rest.
Her name was the first to come to my mind.
With all spontaneity, she rose bravely and marched up to the stage. She took centre-staged and gave a thumbs-up performance to the joy of all her classmates. She was all-smiles throughout the performance and happily trodded down the steps at the end of her debut.
I was so proud of her.

That was 8 years ago.
Who would have thought that her life will end 2 days ago.
The news shocked me.
I did not know she was suffering from Brain Aneurysem.
She succumbed the to the illness and went into a coma before leaving us.

Who would have thought that her childhood memories will never move on to her adulthood?

I wonder if I have made an impact in her short life. If I have given her the best memories she could have as a P1 child. I hope I did.

I put myself into the shoes of her mother. And my heart aches for her.
How in the world will she ever have the strength to face up to the fact that her little girl is no longer by her side. That she could never hold her, hear her, see her, hug her, kiss her, talk to her, laugh at her, reprimand her or smell her. That the many hopes that she has pinned on her child would end at that moment. That she will never find out who she will marry someday, what she will work as, how pretty she will look in her wedding dress.

I pray that God will give her family the strength to go through this period of bereavement.

Cherish every moment you have with anyone. You never know when that moment will be the last you'll ever have with him/her.

No comments:

Post a Comment